Other GWS Publications
World Heritage in America: The U.S. Tentative List 2008
A joint publication of the U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. National Park Service, and George Wright Society, World Heritage in America: The U.S. Tentative List 2008 is a 48-page, full-color introduction to the 14 sites the United States has identified as being worthy of possible nomination to the World Heritage List over the period 2008–2017. The 2008 U.S. Tentative List was the first updated national tentative list in more than 25 years. PRICE: No charge for the publication itself, which was produced at U.S. government expense, but we charge $3.00 shipping to US addresses (additional cost elsewhere).
Yellowstone Lake: Hotbed of Chaos or Reservoir of Resilience?
Edited by Roger J. Anderson and David Harmon
A joint publication of the Yellowstone Center for Resources and the George Wright Society, Yellowstone Lake: Hotbed of Chaos or Reservoir of Resilience? is the proceedings of the 6th Biennial Scientific Conference on the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem, held in October 2001. The book is available as a paperback ($15) or on CD ($10) postpaid to US & Canadian addresses (additional shipping elsewhere).
You can also download individual papers below.
- Foreword / John Varley
- Porewater and Hydrothermal Vent Water Inputs to Yellowstone Lake, Wyoming / Carmen Aguilar, Russell L. Cuhel, and J. Val Klump
- Yellowstone Lake Cutthroat Trout Hemoglobin Polymorphism / Jeffrey Carl Braman
- Underwater Domains in Yellowstone Lake Hydrothermal Vent Geochemistry and Bacterial Chemosynthesis / Russell L. Cuhel, Carmen Aguilar, Patrick D. Anderson, James S. Maki, Robert W. Paddock, Charles C. Remsen, J. Val Klump, and David Lovalvo
- The Bridge Bay Spires: Collection and Preparation of a Scientific Specimen and Museum Piece / Russell L. Cuhel, Carmen Aguilar, Charles C. Remsen, James S. Maki, David Lovalvo, J. Val Klump, and Robert W. Paddock
- Natural Variability in Annual Maximum Water Level and Outflow of Yellowstone Lake / Phillip E. Farnes
- Rich in Resources, Short on Cash: How Philanthropy Helps Yellowstone and Other National Parks / Kézha Hatier-Riess
- Archeology Around Yellowstone Lake / Ann M. Johnson
- Climate, Tectonics or ...?: Speculations on the Recent Paleolimnology of Yellowstone Lake / J. Val Klump, Jerry L. Kaster, Sharon A. Fitzgerald, Charles C. Remsen, Patrick D. Anderson, Robert Paddock, Carmen Aguilar, Russell L. Cuhel, James Maki, and David Lovalvo
- Investigating the Microbial Ecology of Yellowstone Lake / James S. Maki, Carl M. Schroeder, James C. Bruckner, Charles Wimpee, Andrew Weir, Charles C. Remsen, Carmen Aguilar, and Russell L. Cuhel
- An Archeological Investigation of a Historic Refuse Dump Associated with the Yellowstone Lake Hotel / Megan McCullen
- Piscivorous Birds of Yellowstone Lake: Their History, Ecology, and Status / Terry McEneaney
- Recent Changes in Population Distribution: The Pelican Bison and the Domino Effect / Mary Meagher, Mark L. Taper, and Christopher L. Jerde
- Mapping the Floor of Yellowstone Lake: New Discoveries from High-Resolution Sonar Imaging, Seismic-Reflection Profiling, and Submersible Studies / L.A. Morgan, W.C. Shanks III, D. Lovalvo, M. Webring, G. Lee, W.J. Stephenson, and S.Y. Johnson
- Documenting Trends in Yellowstone?s Beaver Population: A Comparison of Aerial and Ground Surveys in the Yellowstone Lake Basin / Sue Consolo Murphy and Douglas W. Smith
- Amphibian Diversity, Distribution, and Habitat Use in the Yellowstone Lake Basin / Debra A. Patla and Charles R. Peterson
- Sublacustrine Geothermal Activity in Yellowstone Lake: Studies Past and Present / Charles C. Remsen, James S. Maki, J. Val Klump, Carmen Aguilar, Patrick D. Anderson, Lorie Buchholz, Russell L. Cuhel, David Lovalvo, Robert W. Paddock, James Waples, James C. Bruckner, and Carl M. Schroeder
- Prehistoric Land-Use Patterns within the Yellowstone Lake Basin and Hayden Valley Region, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming / Paul H. Sanders
- The Osprey Beach Locality: A Cody Complex Occupation on the South Shore of West Thumb / Mack William Shortt
- Yellowstone Lake as Seen by Artists / Eugene Lee Silliman
- Yellowstone Sand Verbena (Abronia ammophila): AYellowstone Lake Endemic / Jennifer J. Whipple
- Native Americans, the Earliest Interpreters: What is Known About Their Legends and Stories of Yellowstone National Park and the Complexities of Interpreting Them / Lee H. Whittlesey
- Conservationists and the Battles to Keep Dams Out of Yellowstone: Hetch Hetchy Overturned / Michael J. Yochim
Coordinating Research and Management to Enhance Protected Areas
David Harmon, ed. (1994; 116 pp.)
Guidelines on how to encourage researchers and managers to work together in parks and protected areas. Published by IUCN in collaboration with the George Wright Society, the Science and Management of Protected Areas Association, and the Commission of the European Union. A collaborative effort that grew from discussions at the IVth World Congress on National Parks, held in Caracas, Venezuela, February 1992. PRICE: $8.00
Wildlife Management in the National Parks: Fauna Series #2
George M. Wright and Ben H. Thompson (1935; 142 pp.)
The original edition of a classic volume on natural resource management in the U.S. national parks. Published by the U.S. National Park Service. PRICE: No charge for the publication itself, which was produced at U.S. government expense, but we charge $8.00 shipping to US addresses (additional cost elsewhere).